Intelligent VPN for continuous, reliable connectivity in mobile environments
The only VPN of its kind is aware of the connections, devices, applications and networks in use, and solves for the challenges of reliably delivering applications and keeping mobile workers productive
Download Mobility Product Sheet
Download Mobility Tech Specs
NetMotion Mobility maintains continuous, reliable connections through challenging network conditions: no coverage zones, isolated dead spots, areas of marginal signal strength, or when workers roam between networks.
- Any application that runs over a wired network can be delivered in a mobile environment, without worrying about performance issues or lost connections that often trigger application crashes.
- A single login grants seamless access for the entire workday; workers can use any combination of networks, roam freely between them, cross gaps in coverage, and suspend-and-resume their devices without losing sessions, repeating logins or managing their connections.
- Bandwidth-intensive applications such as voice-over-IP or streaming video can be used successfully by mobile workers, thanks to compression techniques that reduce data use and cut the costs for data plans.
Drawing on awareness of the connections, devices and applications in use, policies enforce security and customize the user experience to maintain worker productivity.
- Protective policies can prevent users from running bandwidth-intensive applications over lower-speed networks or taking other actions that might bog down their use of the device
- Device-management functions such as patches and updates can be kept off the metered networks and set to run only when Wi-Fi or wired connections are available
- Quality-of-service capabilities give priority to the most essential real-time business applications, while personal and other applications receive lower priority
- Security policies ensure that business-applications always access the secured corporate network, while workers have the freedom to use applications for personal use; or, administrators can lock down the device, allow only corporate use and ensure that the controls cannot be bypassed
Administrators gain a comprehensive view of performance throughout the entire mobile environment, including cellular data and public Wi-Fi networks that IT does not own or control.
- Usage metrics for users and groups, devices, wireless hardware, applications and networks reveal how the entire mobile environment is performing and supporting the business.
- Real-time displays and system status reports on network usage, network errors and device status allow administrators to find and pinpoint problems in devices, adapters and networks and resolve them quickly
Pushbutton diagnostics troubleshoot application-delivery problems from end-to-end, speeding time to resolution and keeping workers productive.
- Diagnostics analyze every data hop to determine whether issues are caused by the device, network or applications, including portions that are in the cloud
- Mapping capabilities track every device in the field and reveal areas where coverage is poor or non-existent, and can roll-back to previous points in time to localize and analyze problems reported after-the-fact
- Alerting and reporting capabilities export data to analysis tools and dashboards used in the IT environment
Visibility and one-touch troubleshooting for mobile environments
NetMotion Diagnostics is an integral part of NetMotion Mobility, creating the world’s only self-diagnosing intelligent VPN; but is also available as a standalone solution
Download Diagnostics Product Sheet
Download Diagnostics Tech Specs
When users complain of problems, are the root causes in the device, network or application servers? One-touch troubleshooting frees you from repetitive trial-and-error methods to find and resolve problems quickly.
- Analyze every data hop to determine whether issues are caused by the device, network or applications, including portions that are in the cloud
- Minimize downtime by quickly identifying problems, solving with pinpoint accuracy and improving mean time to repair
Are your users suffering from chronic connectivity problems that sap their productivity? Unprecedented visibility into performance issues — and where they occur — lets you understand wireless-performance shortfalls and work with carriers to resolve them.
- Access end-to-end performance data from each device, across cellular and WiFi networks, to corporate and cloud-based servers
- Reduce IT support costs by proactively eliminating unnecessary calls
- Optimize mobile VPN settings and policies to help address problem areas
Can you measure the downtime and frustration of your mobile users? NetMotion Diagnostics delivers real-time data about the performance of your wireless deployment so you can keep them productive.
- Ensure the best coverage and the fastest network technologies for mobile workers
- Track and report geo-tagged data on coverage to better manage carrier SLAs
- Monitor GPS performance to ensure maximum benefit from location-based applications and services
- Export data to enterprise operational intelligence, SIEM, business intelligence and log-analysis tools
Are users silently suffering from issues or burning valuable time trying to solve issues beyond their control? NetMotion Diagnostics analyzes critical, real-time data across your mobile deployment and can proactively alert you as problems arise.
- Increase operational awareness – ensure stakeholders know what, when and where key events are occurring.
- Improve utilization and savings with alerts when devices are under- or over-utilizing cellular data plans
- Export alerts for integrating with third-party alerting tools and dashboards
What's a Mobile VPN?
The Key to a Successful Mobile Deployment
The foundation of a successful mobile deployment is a Mobile VPN (virtual private network) software that provides mobile workers with secure, reliable, remote access to network resources and information from virtually anywhere. While a MDM will manage, secure and configure a mobile device, only a Mobile VPN is designed to deal with the unique challenges associated with mobile computing such as wireless security, data performance and roaming.
Traditional VPNs are not Built for the Mobile Environment
One of the weaknesses of the original Internet protocol (TCP/IP) is that it does not include a native means for ensuring the authenticity and privacy of data as it passes over a public network. To address this weakness, VPN technologies were developed that would validate the identity of and encrypt the data sent between two or more systems on the Internet.
These conventional VPN technologies, including PPTP, IPsec and SSL work great for users who connect from stationary devices (a home PC over residential broadband, a laptop over a hotel LAN, or even a PDA at a wi-fi hot spot), as they use the IP address to identify the device at the far end of the tunnel. But once that device is in motion, physical connectivity, point of network attachment, and IP address are all likely to change. A conventional VPN simply cannot adapt to these changes.
The network tunnel is disrupted, causing application sessions to disconnect, time out, fail, or even the computing device itself to crash. This often forces the user to restart the communication from scratch, possibly having lost work or data transmission that was in process at the time of the disruption.
Add these drops up, factor in the time and productivity lost, and you start to see how challenging a mobile technology deployment can become without the right tools.
Choosing a Mobile VPN
As with any software, there are multiple options on the market to choose from. When choosing a mobile VPN, the following key features should be considered:
- True Application Persistence: The ability to sustain application sessions, even through suspend-and-resume cycles and loss of connectivity
- Standards-Based Security: Supports two-factor authentication, device authentication, FIPS 140-2 AES encryption, NSA Suite B encryption and the ability to quarantine remote devices
- Centralized Management Console: Browser-based console that generates views into connected devices and detailed reporting
- Wireless Performance Optimization: Provide the ability to automatically reduce network consumption and improve throughput and application responsiveness, particularly over these cellular networks
- Diagnostics: Analyze every data hop to determine whether issues are caused by the device, network or applications, including portions that are in the cloud
Read our white paper: "Evaluating VPNs for Mobile Environments"